Short bio-sketch of Group Lead Dr. Sandeep K. Jha
Presently holding following positions:
Associate Professor, Centre for Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi
Adjunct Faculty, Department of Bioengineering, Clemson University USA
Coordinator, Clemson University- IIT Delhi Centre for Innovative Medical Devices & Sensors ‘CIMEDS’
Faculty of Department of Biomedical Engg., All India institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
Faculty of Nanoscale Research Facility (NRF), IIT Delhi
Faculty of Centre of Excellence in Biopharmaceutical Technology (CBT), IIT Delhi
Faculty of School of Interdisciplinary Research (SIRe), IIT Delhi
Vice President, Board of Recreational and Creative Activities (BRCA), IIT Delhi
Research areas: non-invasive clinical biosensors; capillary electrophoresis microchip devices for clinical, environmental and biopharmaceutical applications; microfluidic Lab-on-a-chips for PCR and on-chip cytometry; on-chip COD analysis; biosensors for pathogen detection, on-chip neurochemical analyzer.
2007 Ph. D. (Biochemistry), Bhabha Atomic Research Centre/Mumbai University, Mumbai, India.
2000 M. Sc. (Industrial Biotechnology), Punjabi University, Patiala, India (University Gold medal).
1998 B. Sc. (Chemistry Honours with Physics and Mathematics), Calcutta University, Kolkata, India.
Past positions held
Mar 2019-Present Associate professor, Centre for Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi. Research area: Biosensors and Bioelectronics
Sep 2013-Mar 2019 Assistant professor, Centre for Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi. Research area: Biosensors and Bioelectronics
Aug 2012-Sep 2013 Associate professor, Department of Bioscience & Biotechnology, Banasthali University, India. Research area: Biosensors and Bioelectronics
Oct 2011–Jun 2012 Research professor, Research Institute of Engineering & Technology, Korea University, South Korea. Research area: LSPR based nanoparticle detection on lab-on-a-chip platform; on-chip flow cytometry of malaria infected cells, Laser assisted pinched flow fractionation of nanoparticles.
May 2010–Sep 2011 Research professor, Department of Nano science & Engineering, Myongji University, South Korea. Research areas: Microfluidics, lab-on-a-chips, Electrochemical biosensors and Virtual instrumentation; teaching assignments: Special issues in electrical and electronic materials, electrochemical engineering.
Sep 2009–Apr 2010 Assistant professor, School of Biotechnology, Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneswar. Teaching assignments: Industrial and food microbiology, Biochemistry, Biosensors, Biophysics, Structural biology and Practical food microbiology, Practical forensic molecular biology. (two semesters)
Nov 2007–Aug 2009 Postdoc, Department of Nano science & Engineering, Myongji University, South Korea. Research areas: Developing microfluidics devices for lab-on-a-chip concept including PCR microchip fabrication; capillary electrophoresis detectors.
Apr 2007–Oct 2007 Research Associate, Nanotechnology Centre, Electrical Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India. Research area: Capacitance based detection of creatine kinase-M on an EIS capacitor structure.
Oct 2006-Mar 2007 Visiting faculty, Changu Kana Thakur college of Arts Commerce & Science, Panvel, Navi Mumbai, India
May 2006–Sep 2006 Research Assistant, Molecular Biology Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India. Research area: Development of transgenic cyanobacteria for linaA2 over expression and developing an assay protocol for the gene.
Sep 2000–Aug 2005 (Ph.D. Research) CSIR Junior/senior Research Fellow, Nuclear Agriculture & Biotechnology Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India. Ph.D. thesis title: Development of clinical and environmental biosensors.
- Organizer: TechEx – A Technology Exhibition of UAY & IMPRINT Projects Inaugurated by Hon. Minister of HRD 4th Aug 2019. More than 150 posters and 80 exhibitions displayed. Attended by 750 delegates and presenters. Lecture Hall Complex IIT Delhi
- Organizer, WAQM 3rd Project Monitoring Committee Meeting for IUSSTF on June 26th 2019 (full-day) at IIT Delhi
- Session chair and program committee member: Bioprocessing India 2018 (16-18 Dec 2018, IIT Delhi)
- Organizer: IUSSTF-DST WAQM Project meeting on ‘Integrated low-cost water sensors for real- time river water monitoring and decision- making’ Oct 12th, 2018 IIT Delhi, New Delhi India
- Organizer for session on ‘Agricultural Biotechnology’ at ‘University of Queensland, IIT Delhi Inaugural Research Symposium’, IIT Delhi, New Delhi, 24-25 Sep 2018
- Convener: Brainstorming cum seminar on river water quality monitoring May 18th, 2018 IIT Delhi, New Delhi India
- Program committee member, Nano India 2017, March 17-18, 2017; IIT Delhi, New Delhi
- Convener, Medicine and Health group, National Brainstorming-cum-Consultative Workshop on Panchgavya (SVAROP); Dec 18-19, 2016 IIT Delhi, New Delhi India
- Program committee member of international conference on ‘Physiological computing systems’ PhyCS 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
- Program committee member of International conference on ‘Biomedical Electronics and Devices’ – Biodevices/Biostec 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011
- Session chair, International conference on ‘Biomedical Electronics and Devices’ – Biodevices/Biostec 2011, Jan 26-29, Rome, Italy
Coordinator, Clemson University- IIT Delhi Centre for Innovative Medical Devices and Sensors ‘CIMEDS’
Vice President, BRCA (Mar 2019 – Present), Organized Rendezvous 2019 and handled day to day administration involving ~200 events other than Rendezvous
Vice-Chair: Openhouse IIT Delhi 2019
Co-organized IIT Delhi annual fest Rendezvous 2017, 2018, 2019
Member, Core committee, Nanoscale Research Facility, IIT Delhi (Since 2016)
Member, Core committee, Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (March 2016 – Mar 2018)
Member Core committee, Panchgavya SVAROP (Nov. 2016 – Mar 2018)
Coordinator (Aug 2015-Present): thrust area- ‘Agriculture’ for phase-II of Nanoscale research Facility (NNetra)
Member, IIT Delhi Proctorial Team (2014; 2015, 2016)
Co-organizer “Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat” IIT Delhi chapter
Organizing committee member “Openhouse 2018” IIT Delhi
In-charge: M.Tech. Program drafting committee, CBME, IIT Delhi (May 2014-Feb 2017)
Ph.D. Program Coordinator, CBME (July 2014-Sep 2017)
Postdoc coordinator Dec 2019-Present
Awards/ honours / academic services/Membership in advisory boards
- Member, Board of Studies (BOS), Swami Rama Himalayan University, Dehradun, 2017-2018
- Founding and life member of Biosensor society of India
- Reviewer for journals: Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Nanoscale, Lab on a Chip, Analyst, Chemical Communications, Talanta, Sensors and Actuators B Chemical, Electroanalysis, RSC Advances, J. Electroanal. Chem, Analytica Chimia Acta, Sensors and Actuators A Physical, Analytical Letters, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, IEEE Sensors Journal, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Express polymer letters, Sensors (MDPI), Asian Journal of Physics, Current Science, International J. of Biomedical Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Polymer Chemistry (RSC), J. Material Science, ACS Chemical Neuroscience, Sensing & Biosensing Research, Proc. National Academy of Sciences India: Biological Sciences, Food chemistry, BMC Endocrine Disorders, ACS Sensors
- Awarded with University Gold medal by Honourable Governor, Punjab Mr. F. C. Jacob for standing first in the order of merit at M. Sc. (Biotechnology) Final examination at Punjabi University, Patiala, India on April 7, 2001.
- Qualified Joint CSIR–UGC National Eligibility Test (India) for Lectureship and Junior Research Fellowship twice in Life Sciences in Dec 1999 & June 2000.
- Member Selection Committee Newton Bhabha Ph.D. placement Program (2017-2019)
- Member of several project evaluation, project monitoring and site visit committees of BIRAC and DBT
- Member of PMC Indo-Russian joint call (DBT)
- Institute Nominated member of BIS National Health Systems Resources Centre, Expert group on Lab Equipment and blood bank
- Expert Member for Executive Board Review of DRDO Projects 2020
- Institute Nominated member: Scheme Steering Committee (SSC) of the sub-scheme “Assistance to Medical Device Industry for Common Facility Centre” Medical Device Section, Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers